Thursday, January 21, 2010

Laddie Update

**TECHNICAL NOTE: I HAVE ADDED AN EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION LINK ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PAGE. ENTER YOUR EMAIL AND ANYTIME A NEW POST (AND ONLY WHEN A NEW POST) IS CREATED, YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL NOTIFICATION. I'M HOPING THIS WORKS, I HAVEN'T SEEN IT COME THROUGH ON MY TEST EMAIL YET THOUGH**

It's funny- whenever I talk to certain people one of the first questions they ask is 'How is Laddie?' Some people were shocked that we brought her with us to St. Thomas but how could we leave her behind? She's nine years old and Tim has had her since she was 6 months old- I can't imagine her NOT being with us. When Tim and I used to visit the Anti-Cruelty Society (why I'm not sure- to torture ourselves maybe? There were several times we almost came home with a second puppy!) I never understood the tags that said 'Reason for Being Given Up: Moving, Can't Take With.' Would you move into an adult-only community and give your kids up? Likely not. That is how I feel about Laddie.

So to answer everyone's questions- Laddie is doing great. She is adjusting to her new surroundings well- too well in some cases. She was sleeping on two pillows and a blanket so Tim and I felt bad and would let her into bed with us. It got to the point that no sooner had Tim gotten in the shower that she was in his spot- laying on his pillow like she was a people (I really think she thinks she is). Recently we were able to find a doggie bed at PriceSmart but she still jumps into bed and we don't have the heart to kick her out. We are such pushovers...

She's finally starting to shed- not a good thing for us but likely fantastic for her (with the exception of now it is very obvious when she is on the couch if we are gone)! She's not a big fan of the bugs and has licked away patches of hair 'scratching' at bug bites :( Every time I go to put Cortisone on her she just licks that off too. I'm thinking I can put it on, wrap her legs in paper towels and tape them in place. If that doesn't work- next stop is the cone... but then her doggie friend, Rue, would make fun of her! I'm hoping the former works first.

She's getting used to us giving her a bath and even clipping her nails but we haven't quite gotten to brushing her teeth. God how I miss PetSmart. That was the best $26.99 I spent a month. Drop her off and pick her up in three hours clean, clipped and with a cute bandana that she finally stopped fighting and wore just to appease us. Not so much the case anymore...
Laddie still has her quirks. She's terrified of the vaccuum- even though what we now own is just basically a stick. She carries her stuffed animals around in her mouth and shakes them like she's caught something (speaking of, I am looking forward to Buxton bringing me a sewing kit so I can sew the Tiger's head back on). She still loves cheese and can hear any type of wrapper- American, BabyBel, String- being opened from any part of the house and will come running. She knows that when the TV goes off, it's time for bed and runs ahead of us. And, for some reason, she finds it fun to kick her (full) food bowl around the room and into the corner. I caught this picture the other day when she kicked it too far and had a dilemma. Apparently not much of a dilemma to her, she just stuck her head between the barstool legs and ate away.

So to all of you who wondered- she's doing just fine. And for those of you that didn't- I'm sorry this post may have been boring but now you know :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm laughing so hard, I'm crying right now! Laddie must have been seperated at birth from her siblings, Max and Marcus. Mine, too, prefer to sleep in bed: head on pillow and body under the covers. Just last night I had them both on the bed with me. I got up to go to the bathroom and came back to Max (the one year old) in my place in bed...looking very comfy.
    They also know the sound of the TV going off. It means one of two things to them depending on the time of day - 1. time to go to work. This involves both dogs running to the pantry for a treat before getting locked up or 2. time to go to bed. This involves them running to the bedroom and putting their heads on the beds waiting for the "Climb" command.
    I am always amazed how smart they are...They totally have me trained!

    ReplyDelete